Digital cartography and Computer Cartography Maps
Digital cartography utilizes computer technology to create maps that consist of several features such as zooming options, hyperlinks and roller information. This technology uses compass as well as magnetic storage devices for the creation and storage of digital maps.
The entire process of digital cartography and computer mapping tools became popular in the 20th century with the easy availability of different computer peripherals such as printers, scanners, monitors and plotters. It was ably supported with the latest computer programs for accurate image visualization and processing, database management and proper spatial analysis. Sophisticated digital maps with improved features for different industries became possible with the use of this technology.
Digital cartography can benefit your businesses in multiple ways:
- It can guide visitors to locate your branch office as well as different store locations across the country. The embedded interactive online maps in your website can help customers to reach any particular store easily.
- It can help potential clients to reach your stall in a trade fair. Similarly, you can also guide them to the location through an interactive street image.
- Multimedia presentations can be easily created offline through the use of interactive maps on both CDROM and intranet. Further, you can even export interactive maps to JPG for effective power point presentations.
- Addition of icons, logos and labels at different points in the map will give you the option to show routes with lines and curves, and add relevant descriptions in info boxes and tool tip .This feature will not only make the digital maps informative, but interactive as well.
- Digital maps score over conventional paper maps with the use of special elements like map chart, Zoom function and map legends.
- Digital maps can be of great help to real estate developers and property dealers. Through the use of interactive features, you can easy display information regarding the floor plans and other features of a house. You can even include the prices of individual flats on the map, for the benefit of the buyers.
* Travel agents can benefit a lot from the use of digital cartography. You can easily inform the tourists regarding the best deals on hotels, special offers and discounts on airfares, and the most convenient option to reach a specific location.
- Digital maps can be quite useful for both the educational institutions and universities. You can easily share information about the different courses and the exact fees with the admission seekers.
In a nutshell, we can say that Digital maps are a useful and interactive tool for the dissemination of multi-faceted information.
Cartography can be defined as the art and science of map making. There was a time when paper printed two dimensional maps were used for the purpose of reference and education. Advancement in digital technology lead to a major change in computer mapping tools. This process created digital maps that consisted of many interactive features such as hyperlinks, clickable icons, rollover information box and zooming. These three dimensional and dynamic maps serve as a useful guide for the distribution of multifaceted information through various interactive features. You can access this map from any handheld digital device like tablet or smartphone. It can be useful when one is lost and needs to find his way back home. It can also assist visitors in finding your branch office locations or to potential clients in locating your stall in an exhibition.
A digital map can be shared in different industry standard file formats for ex Vector export formats and Image export formats:
- Popular vector export formats include PDF, SVG, SVGZ, EMF and EPS, as they assist a mixture of both raster and vector data.
- Important Image export formats include GIF, TGA, PNG, JPG, TIFF and BMP. These are known as purely raster formats